Thursday, July 30, 2015

My Curly Hair Journey


I did it! I finally did it.  I found a product that I can put in my hair and go.  Having curling hair is a blessing and a curse.  I have always had to use gel and hair spray to tame my wild mane. after having my second daughter, I notice my hair was falling out so much more than usual.  So I went on a long hair product journey to find something that was either natural or less harsh than gel and hair spray.  Prior to finding the Cantu Curl Activator Cream,  I would have to use more than  1 product and sometimes a fine mist of hair spray. Having to use hairspray at all made me feel like I wasn't being successful in finding the best hair products for my hair.  Let me tell you a list of hair product lines I have tried: Mixed chicks, Shea moisture, Curls, Mizani,Jane Carter Solutions, Deva Curl, Samy, Pantene Truly Natural Hair, and Cantu. Before I give you a review of the hairlines I have used, let me give you a quick background of my hair.  I am Puerto Rican and Japanese. My hair is curly and thick yet its texture is different due to my mix.  Because of my mix, I have had a lot of trouble finding something that was strong enough to define my curls without being to greasy or oily. Please know after purchasing a product I would research, read reviews, and watch videos on application techniques. I always tried my best give a line or product a complete chance to work in my hair before moving to the next product.  Even if that meant having crazy big hair or greasy hair for a couple of weeks.   Below is a quick review of what the product line did to my hair:

1.Mixed chicks: Didn't give me much definition and would make my hair Diana Ross big.

2. Shea Moisture:  Had to stay away from the gel souffle (it was making my hair come out even more..yikes!) the rest of the line I had to mix more than one product together to get some definition but then had to put a mist of hairspray to avoid getting a halo of frizz.

3. Curls: would give me definition, but was heavy in oils and made my hair greasy.

4. Mizani: Too heavy in oils, way to greasy, and yet some how I would get spots of frizz?? Not sure how that is even possible.

5. Jane Carter Solutions: Did absolutely nothing for me.  Felt very drying.

6. Deva Curl:  I really wanted to like this line.  I did not. It did not give me the definition I was looking for.  When using this product, I would have big hair for the day.

7. Samy: Drying with no definition.

8. Pantene Truly Natural Hair: This was the second best thing that seemed to work for me.  I would have to mixed two products (Defining Curls Styling Custard and the argon oil) and have to do a fine mist of hair spray.

9. Cantu: Perfection.  I have tried a few products from their line but nothing tops the curling activating cream.  I can style and go and have awesome definition or defuse which gives me extra volume with the same amazing definition.

The Cantu line is a natural line.  Here is the description straight from the bottle "Cantu® Shea Butter For Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream. No sulfate silicone parabens or mineral oil. Produces frizz free, smooth, bouncy curls. Activates curls, delivers volume and adds shine." To top off how amazing this curl activating cream is, it is only $5.99 at target!! So inexpensive for such an great product.

I knew the perfect product for my curls was out there, I just had to go through a lot of hairlines to find it.  I need to take a picture of my hair from behind, but for now here are two pictures I snapped on two different days ( I just noticed, I was wearing the same outfit on both days lol) after using Cantu Curl Activator Cream. Hope my hair journey helps someone else that is trying to find the perfect product for their curls.



No comments:

Post a Comment