Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Book review: I was Here


"He must've known that it was me behind all this, the sunless planet who turned out to have some light left in her after all." - Gayle Forman, I was Here

So, I have joined a book club. It is a very new book club and we are taking votes on which book to start on for the upcoming month. I couldn't wait, so I took one of the suggestions and checked out "I was Here" (written by Gayle Forman) at my local library. It was a very easy read. I read it in one day. 

Synopsis: When her best friend Meg drinks a bottle of industrial-strength cleaner alone in a motel room, Cody is understandably shocked and devastated. She and Meg shared everything—so how was there no warning? But when Cody travels to Meg’s college town to pack up the belongings left behind, she discovers that there’s a lot that Meg never told her. About her old roommates, the sort of people Cody never would have met in her dead-end small town in Washington. About Ben McAllister, the boy with a guitar and a sneer, who broke Meg’s heart. And about an encrypted computer file that Cody can’t open—until she does, and suddenly everything Cody thought she knew about her best friend’s death gets thrown into question.

According to Good Reads, "I Was Here" is Gayle Forman at her finest, a taut, emotional, and ultimately redemptive story about redefining the meaning of family and finding a way to move forward even in the face of unspeakable loss. 

(some possible spoilers, so read at your own risk;) 

First things first. I usually am not interested in a book where the main character is under 20 (unless I am reading a childhood classic). But something about this book intrigued me.  Secondly,  the book is written in the 3rd person POV. I tend to lean toward books written in the first person POV. I enjoy feeling more connected to the main character as well as really feeling every emotion that is being described.  Even though Gayle wrote in the third person, I feel she did a marvelous job capturing each character's feelings as well as  laying out each scene that you enter. Back to the main character. You are following main character Cody, who is trying to survive the aftermath of  losing her best friend Meg to suicide.  You can feel Cody's emotions, which tend to be a little all over the place. You can really depict how naive and young she is (19 years old). I felt like I was transported back to when I was her age as I read along. Life is still revolving a little more around you than it should, and you tend to be a little more on the dramatic side (kudos to Gayle for being able to capture the true essence of a teenager within her writing and translate it into Cody ' s persona). In the beginning of the book, you are introduced to Meg's family. Right off the bat, I pick up on the fact that Sue (Meg's mother), possibly deals with some depression.  The book mentions that she cooks based on what mood she is in, and at times she might not cook at all, just stay in bed eating popcorn. Not sure if I recognize this because that's how I am, or I'm just a little bit more observant than young Cody. This tips me off that possibly Meg could of also suffered from depression which may of played into her suicide.   The story throws you for a loop as young Cody takes matters into her own hands, trying to see if Meg truly took her own life or if she was coached to do so. One part of the book I found slightly disturbing. Meg was seeking help from an online suicide support group, only to find the group was not a suicide prevention group, but an actual supporter of suicide. One person Meg chats with on an online forum in said group, almost makes taking your life sounds courageous and beautiful.   I have never had any sort of suicidal thoughts, but if I came across a similar person as Meg did, I could see how someone could definitely plant the thought subconsciously and make it seem as though it was my own at such an influential age. Disturbing, right? Over all it was a great read. What made this book even more of a great read, is the fact that Gayle Forman included some author notes at the end of the book. Meg Garcia was an inspiration from a live person who committed suicide. Gayle went into detail and included a lot of the actual person's personality and life experience into her character Meg. Something about her being so personal with her readers, allowing us to get a glimpse of her inspiration and putting truth behind the life of her character, makes me want to read more of her work. 

I am so thrilled that I am back to one of my first loves; reading.  I am beyond excited to of finally joined a book club. I am hoping to come across some great books, authors,  and possibly make some new friends. Until my next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment